Dr. N.V. Ramana Rao is at present Director & Professor of Civil Engineering at National Institute of Technology Raipur. He did his BE in Civil Engineering from (Osmania), M.Tech from (IIT Delhi), Ph.D (from (UK) and Post Doctorate.(from UK) in Civil and Structural Engineering from University of Wales, Swansea , UK. He has held several Administrative posts as Registrar, JNTU Hyderabad, Kukatpally, Hyderabad from 30.04.2012 to 21.07.2015, as Principal, JNTUH College of Engineering Hyderabad, Kukatpally, Hyderabad from 30.04.2008 to 24.11.2011, as Director, Bureau of Industrial Consultancy Services, JNTU, Hyderabad from 05.09.2003 to 05.05.2006, as Co-ordinator, Entrepreneurship Development Cell, JNTU, Hyderabad from 01.08.2002 to 31.01.2004.
Prof. Ramana Rao has edited three books and published 186 papers in International Journals/International Conferences/ National Journals/ National Conferences. He has organized 12 Conferences/Workshops, Delivered 15 invited lectures. He has guided more than 80 M.Tech’s, 13 Ph.D’s and guiding at present several Ph.Ds.
Prof. Ramana Rao has won Several Awards/ Prizes/Certificates, to name a few:
1) Outstanding Concrete Engineer Award for the year 2012 by A.P. Chapter of the Indian Concrete Institute.
2) TOBIP Award for the year by the Junior Chambers International, Hyderabad, September 2012, JCI Banjara Hyderabad.
3) Arthur Cotton Memorial Prize by the Institute of Engineers (India) for the best paper in the IEI Journal, December, 2012.
4) State Best Teacher Award for the year 2011 by the Government of Andhra Pradesh.
5) Best Designer Award for year the 2004 by Indian Concrete Institute, A.P., Hyderabad Centre for the School of Information Technology Building.
6) Awarded the 1998 Commonwealth Fellowship to pursue Post-Doctoral research at the University of Wales, Swansea. U.K.
7) Young Engineer Award for the year 1995 by Government of Andhra Pradesh and Institution of Engineers, India, A.P. State Centre.
8) Awarded the 1989 Commonwealth Scholarship to pursue PhD in Structural engineering at the University of Wales, Swansea, UK.
9) Arthur Cotton Memorial Prize by the Institute of Engineers (India) for the best paper in the Studies on the Impact of Explosion on Blast Resistant Stiffened Door Structures, Series A, Volume 96, 2015.
10) “Eminent Engineer “Award presented by the Association of Consulting Civil Engineer (India) ACCE (I), Madurai on 2nd June 2018, for the immense contribution to the construction industry.
11) “Bharat Ratna Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya Prize Award-2020” in the field of “Engineering”, presented by the Institute of Engineers (India), Telangana State Centre, Hyderabad and Government of Telangana.
Prof. Ramana Rao has been a Member of Academic Senate, JNTU, Hyderabad, Expert Committee Member of City Police Commissionerate Head Qauarters Building and Integrated Command & Control Center, Past Chairman of the Indian Concrete Institute– AP Hyderabad Center, Past Secretary of the Indian Concrete Institute– AP Hyderabad Center, Executive member of the Indian Institute of Bridge Engineers. He has held Membership of Several Important State level Government Committees. He has been a Member of Several AICTE Inspection Committees, Board of Studies Chairman in Civil Engineering, JNTUH, Coordinator, Singareni Collieries Recruitment Test. He has been External Expert Member of ISRO Departmental Promotion Committee (DPC). He has nominated as an Expert Committee member constituted by the UGC for grant of Autonomous status to various Technical Institutions. He has been a Subject Committee Member of Telangana State Public Service Commission. He has a Member of Telangana State Pollution Control Board, Expert Committee Member of Telangana State Power Generation Corporation. He has been Convener, EAMCET – 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 (A.P.) and Convener,EAMCET–2015&2016(T.S.) a State Level Entrance Examination. He is also Member, JEE Apex Board (JAB) for conduct of JEE Examination in 2018, 2019 & 2020 for admission into IITs, NITs & CFTIs for admission into Professional courses of Engineering and Medical streams. He has been a member of Several High Power Committees constituted by Govt. of AP & Telangana. He has been a member of the committee to frame affiliation guidelines for affiliated Engineering Colleges by Govt. of Telangana. He has also elected Fellow of Telangana Academy of Sciences in the Year 2018.
Prof. Ramana Rao has visited US, UK, China, Spain, Taiwan, Portugal (Lisbon) for academic collaboration.
Previously he has held the post of:
Director, NIT Warangal from 23.10.2017-26.04.2023 Director (Additional charge), NIT, Andhra Pradesh from 23.10.2017 to 23.03.2018. Director (Additional charge), SPA, Vijayawada from 18.11.2021 to 23.09.2022.
Prof. Ramana Rao took over charge as Director, NIT Raipur on 08.06.2023